Tuesday, August 3, 2010

"I will contact you when I contact you"

The words that were angrily spoken to me over the phone last night before I was told to "shut the fuck up"

Prince Charming is exercising his right to deny my existence.  An exercise of control.  "What I said is how it is.  DONE"

So... I patiently wait for contact....  not to push or ask for communication because that would upset the Prince and the Monster would come out and attack me.

I can't have that happen.  I have to drive down to stay with him tomorrow for work.  Interestly enough this is a pattern that is always transparent and obvious yet no easier to deal with each time it happens.  Whenever I am somehow dependent on him he "exercises" some "right" and puts me in a corner where he then puts demands on me.  If the demands aren't met we go down the same vicious spiral again.  He threatens to leave me... I try to hold the balls I used to have.. I give in cause it's easier to meet his demands temporarily and calm the monster down.. all so I can get through whatever it is that I have committed to that involves me being (even just slightly) dependent on him.  He has threatened to leave me twice in the past 4 days....

Christmas at the cabin with his family 2009- he blew a gasket the night before threatening to leave me because I wasn't "good enough for him".  Plane ticket bought and family expecting me.  I went feeling like I had a gun to my head.  I had committed to see his family and if I didn't show up we would never speak again.  If I went I would have to suck it up and put on that smile.  I obviously chose the latter and it was the most heinous Christmas ever!


Work Meetings where his uncle lives- My business partner and I had meetings out of town and his uncle lived in the area (who I rather like BTW) so we planned to stay with him.  He's quite a lonely man and I knew he would enjoy the company.  The night before he told me how his uncle doesn't trust me.  He didn't just say "Uncle L doesn't trust you".  He went on a tirade about how terrible I am and at then end stated very seriously with great concern and anger that "Uncle L didn't TRUST me" repeating it over and over again until it was very clear that UNCLE L DOES NOT TRUST ME!   This is a serious accusation for me.  I have done absolutely nothing for Uncle L to not trust me.  It was SO awkward when we showed up at his house that we were happy to have to go to work all day.  We contemplated staying at a hotel.. but I knew this would offend Uncle L regardless of what Prince Charming has said.  Uncle L is very sensitive and I was NOT going to be THAT person.  And even if I had.. it would again be the nail in my coffin that would end in us never talking again.  So I sucked it up and smiled.  Luckily they had quite a few drinks while we were gone and the tension had gone away.

I can give examples of this behavior any and EVERY time that I have some dependency on him to complete something that is important to me in my professional or private life.

I know this sounds silly but it's pretty serious.  I do have the choice to stay at a hotel for my work tomorrow... and I've contemplated it many times.  IF I were to do that... we would never speak again.  He would leave and I would never hear from him or see him again.  Harsh.  Giving up a long term friendship and knowing I would never have that person in my life again even as a friend scares me.(we've know each other for 20 yrs and been very close for over 5)

So I guess the lesson here is don't put myself in the situation EVER again to be any way shape or form dependent on him while I figure all this other stuff out.

My Mantra :  Just get through the weekend... Just get through the weekend....

No comments:

Post a Comment